Therapeutic and Cosmetic Vein Therapy in Augusta, GA
Millions of Americans suffer from some form of vein problem. From tiny, spiky spider veins to long, bulging varicose veins, vein issues can be at best, an aesthetic blemish and at worst, the cause of health complications. As a vein specialist and vascular surgeon, Dr. James Sherman is able to offer a variety of minimally invasive vein treatments that can be performed in our clinic.
You can get rid of varicose veins and spider veins to improve appearance, physical comfort, and your medical health in the process. Vein Specialists of Augusta is conveniently located within the same building as New Skin Medical Spa in Augusta, GA. We accept the most comprehensive insurance plans and offer Care Credit to the uninsured. Sclerotherapy for spider veins is considered cosmetic and not covered by insurance. Spider vein treatments start at $399 for up to an hour. Vein screening with ultrasound is very affordable should you have to come out of pocket.
Vein Therapy Options
- VenaSeal™: A medical adhesive is injected into the varicose vein, causing the vein to seal itself closed.
- ClosureFast™: Radiofrequency energy ablates the varicose vein walls, causing it to close.
- Ambulatory phlebectomy: is a procedure that allows for the removal of large surface varicosities through very small incisions that need no stitches.
- TVS1470 Endovenous Laser Ablation Therapy (ELAS): A small laser cauterizes the varicose vein so that it closes and collapses.
- Varithena®: A medical microfoam is injected into the vein. The foam fills and treats the vein until it collapses, after which the microfoam is deactivated.
- Spider Vein Therapy /Sclerotherapy: a chemical irritant called a sclerosant is injected into the vein. This disables the vein walls and causes the spider vein to fade away over time.
- Excel V for Spider Vein Therapy & Vascular Lesions: The Excel V Laser by Cutera can effectively treat blue veins around the eyes, blue, red, or purple spider veins of the legs, benign pigmented lesions, and sun-damaged areas of skin that are tan or brown.
Common Vein Problems
Why Get Vein Treatment?
Vein treatments can improve your aesthetic appearance, smooth out the skin, and eliminate discoloration
Vein treatments eliminate varicose veins that can cause serious health complications, such as leg ulcers and blood clots
Vein treatments can eliminate symptoms of vein disease, including:
- Aching, cramping, itching, and burning
- Swelling, fatigue, heaviness, and numbness
- Restless legs
- Leg rashes
Aging is a primary risk factor for varicose veins. Individuals with a family history of varicose veins are at higher risk. Women have a higher risk than men due to hormonal changes during pregnancy and menopause. Other risk factors include being overweight, having a generally sedentary lifestyle, and having poor circulation due to occupational work that requires extended periods of standing or sitting.
The best vein treatment (vein therapy) varies from patient to patient and will depend on a variety of factors. The most important of which is the type of vein issue you have. (Some treatments can only be performed on certain types of veins.) Among treatments used for similar types of veins, there are some advantages to choosing one over another. For example, ClosureFast™ has a lower rate of pain, bruising, and complications when compared to laser ablation. VenaSeal™ improves overall patient comfort and requires no downtime while maintaining a high rate of success. Dr. Sherman can discuss your treatment options with you and help you decide which vein therapy technique best fits your needs.
Your treatment experience will vary depending on the technique used for your procedure. Some techniques require a small incision and may be associated with slight discomfort, although anesthesia may be used to alleviate your discomfort. Your treatment should last between 20 and 60 minutes. Depending on the technique, you will be able to resume your normal activities immediately or within a few days. Only one treatment session is needed to achieve the desired result.
Side effects may vary depending on the technique used. Some temporary side effects may include redness, warmth, or swelling in the treated area. These typically resolve within several hours.
Depending on the vein therapy technique used, results may be visible immediately or within one to two weeks after your treatment. Your quality of life should improve as symptomatic veins, once destroyed, will no longer cause unwanted symptoms. Aesthetically, the treated area will have noticeable improvement with more even coloring and smoother texture.
Vein problems that are of therapeutic nature are usually covered by insurance. Vein treatments that are cosmetic in nature (sclerotherapy for spider veins) are usually not covered by insurance but are very affordable. Therapeutic treatments for varicose veins that cause symptoms and health problems will almost always be covered by insurances (either partial or full coverage). If Dr. Sherman diagnoses you with symptomatic vein disease, you may be able to get coverage for treatment. In the end it depends on various factors and what type of coverage you have. We offer Care Credit finance options as well as discounts for uninsured patients to help out.